Transport Canada – Abandoned Boats Program
We are currently accepting applications for A&R projects for 2017-18 funding. The application deadline is October 30, 2017.
We are currently accepting applications for EA&R projects for 2017-18 funding. The application deadline is September 30, 2017.
The Abandoned Boats Program (ABP) provides grant and contribution funding to assist in the removal of abandoned and/or wrecked small boats posing a hazard in Canadian waters. The program also helps to:
- Educate small boat owners about how to responsibly manage their boats
- Support research on boat recycling and environmentally responsible boat design
The ABP has two key components.
- The Assessment and Removals (A&R) Component funds boat removal assessments, and the permanent removal and disposal of abandoned and/or wrecked small boats.
- The Education, Awareness and Research (EA&R) Component funds public education projects aimed at raising awareness about boat owner responsibility, including proper end-of-life management practices. It also funds research on environmentally responsible boat design and recycling of end-of-life boats.
Eligibility for funding
Eligible recipients for both components of this program include:
- Provinces, territories, municipalities and local governments
- Indigenous groups, communities and organizations
- Private ports or marinas
- Canadian Port Authorities
- For-profit and not-for-profit organizations